Wednesday, March 29, 2006

First Visits

On the day Tino was born, she (and I) received her first visitors.

First of course was her grandmother. She wasn't there at the birth because Cheeku called her only when my contractions began to worsen. Hello, we thought it would take hours. My mom rushed to MedCen. She met one of the nurses outside who guided her into the room (where we were to sleep) and they changed the sheets and pillowcases. My mother kept asking "How's Nydia? Is she okay? Where is she?" The nurse looked calm and smiled at her. "Yes she's fine. We'll go and see her now." As they neared the delivery room, Mom heard a baby crying. Surprised she asked "That's not Nydia's baby is it?" The nurse laughed and said "Yes it is!" Mom was like, "But why didn't you tell me! You made me help you fix the bed and she's already had the baby??!" The nurse laughed again and said "Sorry but I didn't want to excite you. What's the point of rushing when she's already had her baby?"

Second set of visitors consisted of Erika, Des and Henry. After being taken back to the room, I immediately called Erika and told her the news. She couldn't believe. No, she didn't believe it. She'd seen me two hours ago and it didn't look like I was about to have baby yet. Well she sure had to believe it when she walked in and saw baby lying in a cot next to me. "Awww she's got your colour Nyd," were the first comments. Thanks, I really needed to be reminded that Tino is a blackie like me.

Third group to arrive was Logo and her whanau. Logo is Cheeku's sister. She was all smiles and carrying baby and "she's long", "she's cute", "she's...rah rah rah". She brought a huge bag of gifts and baby clothes for Tino. Her kids JR, Chardonnay and Edith were all taken with the little baby and kept wanting to touch her face.

Lastly was Apo and my mom again. Apo is our housegirl at Siusega. She practically waited on me hand and foot every day when I was sick during my pregnancy. She was very teary-eyed when she saw the baby and she and my mother took care of Tino while I had a nap.

Tino, basking in the attention, sighed and exercised her jaw, opening her mouth, pursing her lips and letting out a tiny wail every now and then. Oh what it is to be loved and adored!

No comments: